Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sewing, Reading, Building, & Talking

Hmmmmm... so where do I begin… we have had a good week, but nothing out of the norm for us. I worked my three days Mon-Wed, and then I was off the rest of the week. I really like having those two days off a week for myself, it is nice to be able to have time to get things done here at home AND be creative/crafty. I have been doing lots of clever thing with my time, the other week I got the bright idea to make myself a dress, not big deal right… well I did not have a pattern, so I just busted out my sewing gear and went to work. I would say the finished project turned out pretty good considering the above facts, just not good enough to post any pictures. It still not finished, after 2 ½ days of working on it I decided I needed a break. So it is hanging in the closet until I pull it out with my ingenious idea of how to fix it. I did however insert my first zipper, I am quite proud! If anything, this dress project was a fun learning experience. I hope to do more sewing in the future.

Stewart got a book called “The Undaunted” written by Gerald N. Lund, for Christmas from my parents. We have started reading the book together, and so far have enjoyed ourselves. Stewart and I have tried reading books together before, but I have always lost interested in the books far before we finished them. This time the book has just enough history for Stewart and love story for me. If we can find more books like this, I think Stewart’s dream of having a wife who likes to read with him may come true.

The other day I got a phone call from a friend with two kiddos; she needed a time out from her kids so she asked if I would take them for a few hours, I was happy to help. We had a fun time, me and the kids; we decided since it was raining outside we needed to build the ultimate fort in our living room. Complete with a TV to watch Tarzan. Below is the fruit of our labor. I think this has been the best fort ever made… by me that is. After the kids went home I decided that a masterpiece this beautiful was worth leaving up until the next day (we needed to get our full use of it). Needless to say Stewart and I ate dinner and read our book in the fort that night. Oh the joys of simple pleasures. PS. this tent was made possible only because of the many quilts Stewart and I have inherited from our grandparents and parents... thanks!

Entrance

Side View

The inside

Today Stewart spoke in church, he was called late Friday night to fill in for someone who was unable to make it today. He spoke on service. Stewart seems to have a natural gift to be sincere, funny, and hold people's attention while speaking. He did a great job and received many complements. He informs me that the text of his talk will be published in next months Ensign… J/K. It was a great talk anyway.

Well, I believe that sums up our week. We are both doing fantastic and enjoying this season of life. Love Your Guts!

7 comments:

Jarom & Corinne said...

Hey good job on the dress, I would love to see pictures. I am always impressed with people who can sew clothes by them selfs! The book you and Stewart are reading sounds really good, you guys might like the "Fire and the Covenant" Its a really good one I think you both would like it. Hope your staying warm! love ya!

Megan said...

I can't believe you are sewing a dress without a pattern! I can barely sew one WITH a pattern. You go girl. Have you guys read Presidents and Prophets? Randy loved it and I think your hubby would too.

Doug and Amanda said...

Glad to hear you are having a good time. I love the fort!

Shayla said...

Miss your guts!!!

Camille @ Camille's Casa said...

First off, awesome fort! We used to make them a lot when we were kids. I'm sure you're the coolest babysitter:) I WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF THE DRESS! Don't tease me Becky, lol, you can't sew something and not take a picture. I haven't made a dress since college, you are adventurous! My dad, stew and alex are all good speakers in church. Take care and POST PICS! :)

Cassie said...

My dad just read the undaunted also and loved it! I want to read it, but don't know when I will get the chance.

Tiffany and Gavin said...

I love the fort Becky!!! I love that you and Stewart got in there too! Gavin and I recently set up the tent we got for Christmas and spent the night in it--sleeping bags and all! :) We'll have to try a fort sometime too! I'm with Camille--I want to see pictures of the dress!!!