Sunday, December 6, 2009

It Snowed, It Snowed, and It Snowed

Yesterday it snowed here… our first snowfall of the season. I think we got about 4 inches. The fresh blanket of snow really does help make the area beautiful. Ever since the trees have lost there leaves West Virginia has been kind of ugly. So as long as the roads stay clear and dry I am ok if it snows.

Stewart and I have had a few fun adventures this past weekend. Friday Stewart and I went to a choir performance at the Carnegie Hall were, the choir performed some selections of Handel's Messiah. I resisted the idea of going at first since I am not into opera music… but when Stewart informed me that he would go without me I decided that if I wanted to spend time with him I should just go along and pretend to enjoy the event.

The choir’s performance was amazing, and for the record it is not opera. I actually am considering finding a CD of Handel's Messiah. What was interesting was the amount of Baptist preaching that went on after the performance. They even passed the collection plates around, asking us to give generously to the choir since it was a free event. I thought they could have spared us the preaching and let us go with spiritual high we were feeling after the choir’s performance. I also got a kick out of the many AMENS that were shouted during and after the each song. Stewart and I both came away with renewed testimonies of the sacred event that happened this time of year so many years ago, with the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ, and a realization that we are now living in an extension of the Bible belt.

On Saturday Stewart and I went to WVSOM’s (med school) Christmas party. There was hors d'oeuvres, music for dancing and of course a cash bar for anyone wanting to purchase alcohol. Stewart and I took a dance class almost a year ago, so naturally Stewart wanted to go dance. I hate being in the spotlight and knowing that people are watching me… well the dance floor was in the middle of the room with all the tables surrounding it. I told Stewart I did not want to dance, because no one else was dancing and we would be in the spotlight, he kept insisting so I gave in. I should be more outgoing like Stewart, because I had a fun time and found myself enjoying the night dancing all alone on the dance floor with Stewart for many of the songs. It was a fun evening. So thank you Stewart for a wonderful weekend full of “I-don’t-want-to’s” turned to “thanks-for-the-good-time”. Loves!


2 comments:

Barbara Dunn said...

That sounded so fun. You have now experienced what my mission in Atlanta, Georgia was. Those people are very loud spoken of our Savior. Isn't it silly, but they can sing. Thank you for sharing.

Doug and Amanda said...

Hey Becky! Could you email me your physical address I have something needing to come your way. Thanks
Amanda