Tuesday, November 17, 2009

For Corinne & Anyone Else

Ok so here is the Apple Butter recipe that I used to make my apple butter. I halved this recipe and it made about 2 cups. I think the best part of the recipe is that it made my home smell amazing! I got this recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book; I just re-typed it here word for word.

Apple Butter

Prep: 3 hours Process: 5 mins Makes: 8 half-pints

4 ½ Pounds- tart cooking apples, cored and quartered (about 14)
3 Cups- apple cider or apple juice
2 Cups- sugar
1 ½ teaspoons- ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon- ground cloves
½ teaspoon- ground allspice

1. In an 8- to 10-quart heavy kettle combine apples and cider. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Press through a food mill or sieve until you have 8 ½ cups pulp. Return pulp to kettle.

2. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, over very low heat1 ½ hours or until very thick and mixture mounds on a spoon, stirring often.

Boiling: Water Canning: Ladle hot apple butter into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a ¼ -inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids. Process in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool on racks.

Freezing: Place kettle of apple butter in a sink filled with ice water; stir mixture to cool. Ladle into wide-top freezer containers, leaving a ½ -inch headspace. Seal, label, and freeze up to 10 months. Apple butter may darken slightly on freezing.


2 comments:

Jarom & Corinne said...

yummmy, thank you so much for posting this, i cant wait to try it! Thank you!

Jenette said...

Isn't the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook wonderful? I have found tons of great recipes in it.