Sunday, August 23, 2009

West Virginia Adventures

Well I decided that it was high time I share with you some of the fun things we have done since moving to West Virginia. So forget about all the boring details about our week sit back and enjoy the pictures of the good times and the fun things “ya alls” are missing out on. Guess you better come visit! Loves


RASPBERRY PICKING

I went to a Raspberry farm just the other day with some gals from Church. It was a little rainy but the raspberries were worth it. There we tons of them just waiting for us to pick them. They also had a field of blueberry bushes, but we were too late in the season to pick any. Guess I will have to go back next year. The best part about the raspberries besides getting to eat them was the price… definitely worth the curvy road to get there.

Sam, Nativa, Emily, Ben, Lisa, Rachel, Adrianna, and Mike

Me with my bucket and some Raspberries

The fruits of my labor... Yum!!!


WEST VIRGINIA STATE FAIR
Lucky for us the West Virginia State Fair is only two miles away from our home and lucky for us we had a nice family in our ward give us two free tickets to the fair this year… so we went to the fair. The WV State Fair is very agriculture related and there were a lot of people showing their animals. It took me back to my fair days when I showed a pig, dairy cow, and a horse. I was able to tell Stewart all about it. Of course since I had seen most of all that before… I walked through the exhibits a little to fast for Stewart. He even told me I had to slow down or he was not going to hold my hand anymore. So I slowed down and took the chance to teach Stewart a little about my childhood days… good memories.

Who doesn't want to learn to milk a cow?

This guy was teaching us all about cows and how to milk them... he was taking forever otherwise Stewart would have milked a cow. If I had known he was that interested we could have done that in Idaho... I am sure my Dad would have loved to teach him. Oh Dad why don't you set something like this up at the next fair in Idaho... you could make some good $$$.

Stewart and a Horse



This was the BIG event at the fair... the Horse Pull. Stewart and I watched the winning horses pull 8500 pounds, 23 1/2 feet!

CIVIL WAR MEMORIAL



It is amazing to me the RICH history found in this city. Shortly after Stewart and I arrived we visited this memorial. It is shaped into a big cross, and fenced in. There are buildings here in Lewisburg that date back to the early 1700’s, and many museums that explain the history of this area. It really is a neat experience to live here… even if the roads are narrow and windy.

OLD LEWISBURG CEMETERY
This Cemetery is the first cemetery that I have ever seen where there was a Black area and a White area. Your race determined which side you could be buried on. Many of the headstones are cracked and very old. They looked like if you touched them they would fall over. The stone building you see in the second pictures is the old Presbyterian Church that was used as a hospital in the civil wars days, as well as a great many other things... so much to learn about this area. I went to the library thinking I would check out a book on the area… despite that fact that they have several, you can’t check them out. And even though I have the time to sit at the library all day and read them… I still should get some stuff done around the house. Oh well… maybe one day.



LOST WORLD CAVERNS

This place was neat to go and see, it was a self guided tour of all the natural formations that some people stumbled upon in 1942. I think there website tells you better then in ever could about the place so if your really interested click here, and it will take you to there home page.





THE END
Well that is about all I have for you today… hope you enjoyed seeing some of the things we have been up to. Honestly everything is better in person so come on over and visit we would love to have you.


2 comments:

Doug and Amanda said...

Looks like so much fun, how in the world do you guys have time for all that though?

Jenette said...

It looks like you guys are having a ton of fun!