Sunday, November 15, 2015

last week Stewart decided to do some research on how the hospital here in Cheyenne treated their patients by going undercover as a real patient. Really Stewart was admitted to the hospital here on Tuesday, November, 10th due to complications of his Crohn's disease. Today we are blessed he is doing better but it will be an adjustment trying to figure out yet again another new diet plan for him, so that he can be as healthy as possible. Below is a blog post Stewart wrote about his experiences,  I thought it was easier and best just to cut and copy his words here rather than trying to re-write the whole experience. 

Stewart's post:

Well, as expected I've spent a lot of time at the hospital this month. But unexpectedly I spent 3 of those days in the hospital as a patient. I had a bad day on Monday ( a week ago), couldn't eat or drink much due to stomach pain. The pain continued throughout the night and awakened me several times. I went to work Tuesday morning, feeling only marginally better. By 6:15 am I was feeling significantly worse, the pain in my stomach had escalated quite a bit and I asked a colleague to wheelchair me down to the ED. Luckily we were close because the pain was severe! Within a few hours they had determined that I had a small bowel obstruction (probably from the Crohn's) and I was admitted to the hospital. Within about 24hr it looked like I wouldn't need surgery, that my bowels would wake up with medications. I am home now, eating a very soft, calorie and protein-rich diet. Now that I'm counting calories I realize how under-nourished I was for weeks. I'm having a hard time getting all my calories in, and I'm supplementing everything with whipping cream, olive oil, extra butter, etc. 

Becky has successfully tweaked her diet to be able to lose weight, and now with me doing everything I can to gain weight, it makes eating at our house a bit tricky.


Sophie didn't really know how to act at the hospital, so I guess when in doubt, be Crazy!

No comments: