Wednesday, March 18, 2015

For a while now I have been working on a twin size quilt for Sophie. I started when we lived in Beckley West Virginia, with me finding a pattern and then collecting the fabric I wanted to use slowly since buying that much fabric at one time was not feasible… fabric is expensive! This year I decided that I really wanted to finish the quilt and started working on it in February. I first had to cut all the fabric out which did not take too much time just a lot of focus so that I made sure everything was symmetrical. After that I was too chicken to start sewing my pieces together in fear that I would mess up the quilt. I seriously did not do anything more with the quilt for six months after I cut the pieces out. I finally asked a dear friend who quilts a lot, Donna Groesbeck, to come help me sew the first few blocks together to get me started. After she came over and coached me and I realized that it was not hard to do I took off and had the quilt top finished by mid September.

Because I don’t quilt or have the means to quilt, I decided to ask Carrol Hudson, Stewart’s Grandma who is an avid hand quilter if she would finish Sophie’s quilt. I love the idea of me sewing the top and Sophie’s Great Grandma hand stitching it, in hopes that the finished project will be a token of our love for her and become cherished keep sake. Carrol agreed and when we went to visit them this past October I gave her everything she would need to finish the quilt. She told me it would be at least 6 or more month before she would have it done. But before we left she had me help her put it up on the quilt frames and by Christmas we had the finished quilt wrapped under the tree waiting for Sophie to open it.  


I love how it turned out and Sophie loves sleeping under it. I hope she will one day cherish this quilt and feel the love that was put into it by all who helped. 




2 comments:

Goodwin Family said...

Beck, your quilt is beautiful! You did a great job!!

Tiffany Giraud said...

The quilt is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I love the colors and the pattern. She will cherish that quilt FOREVER! I just got out a quilt Grandma Hudson made me when I was little and Emery uses it on her bed. It makes me so happy. What a good idea to have Great Grandma quilt it!